Wednesday, April 21, 2010

For Health or Money



Getting ready to go to Thailand is exciting and fun. Packing, reading books, learning a few words here and there...  But it is expensive. So far the priciest part has been the vaccinations, which have in fact cost more than the plane ticket.

Because Thailand is near the equator, it is home to lots of mosquito-born diseases... like malaria, dengue fever, and my favorite: Japanese Encephalitis.  The name alone makes you cringe, and according to the CDC one of the symptoms is "coma."  Hm. CDC also states that "About 1 person in 4 with encephalitis dies. Of those who don’t die, up to half may suffer permanent brain damage."

Confronted with the vaccine pricetag of $600 to avoid such a fate, I did what any reasonable person would do: I called my mom and tried to guilt trip her into paying for it (OK so I texted her - the odds were against me anyway). When that failed, I went ahead and got the vaccine. Minutes later, as I was having several hundred dollars shot into my left arm, I couldn't help but thing what else I could get for $600 that might be more enjoyable.... so I started a list.  It includes:




an iPad and an iPhone












75 Chipotle Chicken Burrito Bols with guacamole (my fave)













1 pair of Manolo Blahnik heels










11 Magic Bullet Blenders (which, despite my theories about economies of scale, have not experienced a price drop in the five years that I have desperately wanted one)









3,000 minutes on Skype to talk with my family



Now, I'll be texting my Mom to ask if she can at least help me with the last item and foot the phone bill...

3 comments:

  1. that is crazy
    1) that the vaccines cost $600, shoulda snuck you into international section at the military hospital
    2) that your overseas tix was < $600, great deal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Izzo... and the $600 was just ONE vaccine... so the ticket and vaccines were a bit more ;-) it's worth it, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it makes you feel better, my car accident deductible was $500 and I have no protection from infectious diseases to go with that. I can't believe I could have had all those burritos for that money. Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete